Sunday, June 30, 2013

DIY Up-cycled Pallet Coffee Table

Week 2 back at uni and I had three assessments due yesterday!!!

So the last week has consisted of late nights, text books and computer screens - in between entertaining a very active and all attention seeking 15 month old who has very short naps.

I woke this morning with a weight lifted and hot in the mood for a little DIY!

I have been loving the pallet trend for ages now and am very happy with the results, except my monster thinks this exists for her to be pushed around on, not for my pretty tea cups and Frankie mags :)



Step 1:

Start with a good quality hardwood pallet. This one was small and the top planks were close together. I bought it for $5 from my local tip shop. I sanded it to remove any splinters and roughness and to make the edges softer. It won't come up super smooth but I'm not going for a polished look.

diy white whitewashed pallet coffee table castors

Step 2:

To paint or not to paint? I wasn't sure whether to varnish, stain, or paint each plank a different colour but ended up going with white. You could do whatever suits your place. I went for more of a whitewashed look by brushing white interior wall paint on a bit haphazardly so that some of the timber still came through. You could also paint and sand back for that shabby look.





 Step 3:

Screw some castor wheels onto the bottom (these cost about $4.50 each from bunnings and lock in place) and voila! Simple as that and set me back $23.


diy white whitewashed pallet coffee table castors



diy white whitewashed pallet coffee table castors



diy white whitewashed pallet coffee table castors