Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Wholesome food - Quick and easy quiche lorraine recipe


Hi Lovlies,

I'm so sorry its been so long between posts! I had phone and internet dramas and suddenly realised how dependant I am upon technology these days. Sometimes I wonder if it happens from time to time in order to reconnect us with reality. Although I'm glad I'm back up and running I did enjoy time away from my screen and am reminded that its healthy to have a break every now and again.

Speaking of healthy (relatively), heres a recipe for one of my faves that I have been making for years - quiche lorraine. This recipe is so simple and quick to make and very forgiving if the quantities are not perfect. In fact I can't even remember the exact recipe I started with, I kind of make it up each time with the amount of eggs, milk etc and its fun to experiment  to see what you end up with.  I think it would be hard to finish with something inedible! A great one if you have guests for lunch, a quick and easy dinner for the family or wholesome snack for toddlers - just pair with a healthy salad and some good crusty bread and you're laughing

  Emma xxx



Ingredients


·      4 rashers short cut bacon
·      1 large onion
·      1-2 sheets puff pastry
·      4 eggs
·      1/3 cup milk
·      Salt & pepper to taste


Method

1.    Thaw puff pastry if frozen and pre-heat oven to 180oc.
2.    Cut up bacon and onion into small chunks and fry over medium heat until onion is translucent


Chamomile & Peppermint Blog - Quick and easy quiche lorraine recipe


3.    Meanwhile blind bake puff pastry in an oiled dish for 10 minutes, then bake normally for another 5 to cook pastry (google blind baking f you are not sure what this means)


Chamomile & Peppermint Blog - Quick and easy quiche lorraine recipe


4.    Combine eggs, milk, S & P in a small bowl with fork until just mixed through, put bacon and onion mixture into puff pastry base and top with egg mixture, pop into the oven for about 40 minutes.


Chamomile & Peppermint Blog - Quick and easy quiche lorraine recipe

Voila!



·       You can add some cheese or spinach to egg mixture if desired.
·       I like my quiche quite moist so if you want your eggs firmer, cook for longer.
·       Substitute cream for milk for a denser, more luxurious quiche.
·       Whip up a quick salad full of leafy greens, fresh tomatoes, olives, cucumber etc to serve on the side

     I'd probably avoid adding mandarin as my sous chef below attempted too. I will set her to work on a tart next time 


Chamomile & Peppermint Blog - Quick and easy quiche lorraine recipe


Emma xxx