Sunday, November 3, 2013

Before & After - Simple $5 chair make over

I love a bargain and to be able to look at one persons trash and see treasure.

I was in the market for some new dining chairs - the type that are comfortable enough to sit back in for hours after dinner to converse with friends - but as usual my budget didn't allow for luxe.

I found these old cane and velvet numbers (x4) at the local tender-centre with a hideous black-tinted glass top table and got the lot for $20. I left the table there to be re-tendered and received $10 for it, so lets say each chair ended up being $2.50.

They are quite large and I can only fit 3 round my existing table comfortably so the 4th one has gone out on the verandah, ready to be bought in when we need it.

I had grand plans to spray the chairs white and cover the cushions in a mustard accented fabric which hasn't happened yet as I haven't found the right fabric, so in the meantime I chucked an old vintage pillow slip I bought for 50c at the op-shop, whipped up a nautical cushion from an oversized tea-towel bought on sale at Lincraft for $2 and voila!

Looks much better, and now I am undecided as to whether to paint the others white of to keep the timber and decide on a similar fabric. What do you think? Bargain of the century? And everyone who sits in one comments on the comfort factor!

Emma xxx



revamped recycled before and after make over furniture chair DIY cheap





revamped recycled before and after make over furniture chair DIY cheap