Friday, December 20, 2013

A recycled DIY Christmas Wreath

I recently had yet another room rearrange when I created Stella's vintage inspired kids corner and was left with a few items I had to find new homes for. 

Previously this corner housed a low bookcase, atop which sat a vase filled with tortured willow used as a wishing tree for our wedding

I couldn't find another home for the vase and its contents and so decided to recycle it into a christmas wreath - something new from something old! Love it. 

So I soaked the willow in the bath for a couple of hours to try to make it a bit more pliable and easier to work with. I had a wooden hoop stashed away and with  some fine wire and a pair of pliers I wound the willow around the shape of the hoop and held it in place with the wire. 
I started with the thicker base pieces and kept a pair of secateurs on hand to shorten pieces if they were about to snap or didn't naturally follow the shape of the hoop.

I was happy with the plain willow however decided to decorated it with some lovely dried garlic flowers I had bought from the local fruit & veg farm recently but were looking a bit country kitch in a vase on their own. I cut them short and just stuck them through the willow. 

Whilst looking for some christmassy ribbon in my sewing box, I found this cute pale pink pom pom edging and along with a little wooden reindeer ornament I think the results are much gentler than the traditional bright reds and greens yet still full of cheer.

And the cost = $0 - this was made from items I already had around the house.

What have you made or recycled this Christmas?

Emma xxx


Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - DIY recycled Christmas Wreath




Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - DIY recycled Christmas Wreath


Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - DIY recycled Christmas Wreath



Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - DIY recycled Christmas Wreath