Monday, January 20, 2014

I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels




I have been crushing on these for some time now. Turkish hammam towels, otherwise known as pestemals, are traditionally made from 100% cotton, are lightweight, absorbent and dry very quickly. 

As a lover or fabrics, I think they are just beautiful to look at as well as to touch. Rustic woven sheets in soft hues and colours.

I am the proud owner of one - yes one - pestemal. 

I bought a lovely mustard coloured one with thin white stripes directly from turkey via ebay (I think it was about $15 inc postage? bargain!) to test it out. I absolutely love it. 
I take it to the beach to sit on, dry myself with, wrap it as a sarong.  I have also used as a throw for my lounge and on the guest bed.

They are perfect for our climate. I live by the ocean and after one wash and hanging on the line of regular towels they get crispy and scratchy (I am told that drying in a tumble dryer keeps them soft, but (a) I don't own one and (b) even if I did, It's a total waste of energy) and so I also rate the pestemal as being environmentally friendly. 

So now I'm looking to put them in my bathroom, get some pestemal hand towels and some more for the beach.


Purchasing Tip: Many homewares stores in Australia are now stocking these and they retail from about $35-$80. Some of the links below are to online aussie retailers who stock some beautiful designs, but as I said, bargains can be found buying from Turkey on sites such as ebay if you are happy to wait for postage. 

Anyone for a swim?


Emma xxx





Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
Nine Lives of Mine




Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
The Marion House Book




Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
Wayfair







Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
Kasaba




Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
Nomadic Son





Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
Temple and Webster




Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
Nomadic Son




Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - I'm Loving - Turkish Hammam Towels Pestemals
Kasaba