Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My House - Our Bedroom Makeover


Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - My House - Our Bedroom Makeover



Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - My House - Our Bedroom Makeover
After Stella was born, I decided it was time for a bedroom make-over. I had spent that last several months of my pregnancy madly creating the perfect nursery and everything to go within it (the term "nesting" doesn't even cover it) and realised that if I was to be sleep deprived, I most certainly needed and deserved a restful bedroom for myself. I threw out our old mattress and replaced it with one that makes you feel like you're sleeping on clouds (two years later I still adore crawling into this bed) and decided I was going white. 

Dulux "China White" went on the walls and "Vivid White" gloss for trims. The leftover paint I mixed with water and used to faintly white-wash the floorboards. As if that wasn't enough, I decided that this would be a great time to experiment with floor stencilling (if your thinking "hormones" right now I would like to agree with you, however I'm like this most of the time - its a genetic thing). You can find my floor stencilling DIY post here.

Curtains were made from three pieces of material in the accent colours I wanted - dusty pinks, mustards and reddy browns - and the indian material was actually from a piece my mum had given me which her and dad had used to line the walls in their first house! Oh how I do love a little nostalgia.

Chamomile and Peppermint Blog - My House - Our Bedroom Makeover


An attempt at a Klimt copy of "The Kiss" from my foray into painting years ago fitted beautifully above the bed, a coat of "vivid white" gloss on an old chest of drawers provided one bed side table, while the other is an old chair the neighbours threw out in the last council cleanup. 

Some lovely linen and a cushion handmade from an op-shop vintage sheet completed the bed and I hung two white paper parasols left over from our wedding on the ceiling over the light. They are constantly and gently turning in a hypnotic fashion. Oh yes, and I hung my wedding dress in the wall. kitsch, maybe, but I can't fathom hiding such beauty in the back of my wardrobe! A pair of old brown boots on the floor below brings it down a notch.

I love this space now. It's as calming as I had hoped. I just hope my landlords don't mind too much about the floors...whoops...


     Emma xxx